Containing all the essential amino acids egg whites are complete proteins. You need protein in your diet to build, maintain and replace the tissues in your body.
Egg Protein and Hair
You reveal two distinct parts when you crack open a raw egg the yellow egg yolk and egg white. While the egg white contains most of the protein the yolk contains all the fat in the egg.
Protein for healthy hair
The hair shaft has three layers:
- Medulla. This is the inner layer of the shaft, soft, only seen in thick and large hairs.
- Cortex. This middle layer of the hair shaft provides the hair’s colour, texture and strength.
- Cuticle. This is the colourless outer layer of the hair shaft that protects the cortex and that is thin.
A fibrous protein that is also the main structural component of your nails your hair shaft is largely keratin. You’re giving your body what it needs to produce healthier and stronger hair when your diet includes the proper amount of protein.
The Benefits include:
- Which makes your hair less likely to form break and split ends, a stronger cortex
- Smoother cuticle to make your hair shinier a strengthened
Critical to healthy hair is the proper intake of protein. Women who don’t consume enough protein can experience hair fragility, thinning and loss according to research shows that. Heated styling techniques, chemical treatments and environmental oxidation also contribute to protein loss in your hair.
How to use egg whites for hair.
While some people also use egg white as a hair mask on their scalp and locks to repair damage and reverse hair loss, proper intake of protein has been shown to promote healthy hair.
Some claim that using an egg white hair mask strengthens hair, cleanses the scalp of excess oils, fight dandruff and promotes growth. With other nutrient-rich ingredients such as coconut oil, you can use the egg white alone as a mask or combine it.
To apply and make an egg white hair ask:
- Separate the whites from the yolks of two eggs, over a small bowl, reserving the yolks for another use.
- To the egg whites add 2 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Whisk the oil and egg whites together.
- To damp hair apply the egg/oil mixture.
- Using your fingers distribute the mixture from hair roots to tips.
- With a wide-toothed comb, comb the mixture through your hair, making sure it coats every strand.
- For 20 minutes let the mixture soak in.
- Shampoo your hair with warm, cool and hot water could cook the mixture in your hair.
- As usual, dry your hair.
Although many people believe that the high protein of egg whites alone can make hair stronger there is no scientific support for the direct application of egg whites contributing to the health of your hair. They also suggest that egg whites combined with other ingredients, such as lemon juice, honey, banana, castor oil, apple cider vinegar and yoghurt will address conditions such as the split ends, dry scalp and dandruff.