Cultures around the world have used honey for medicinal purposes and as a natural sweetener, for thousands of years. Due to its minerals, proteins, vitamins and antioxidant properties, ranging from healing wounds and relieving digestive issues to soothing a sore throat and improving skin conditions, honey has been used as a natural remedy for all sorts of ailments.
So, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that honey can also be used to condition, nourish and boost the health of your hair. How you can go about making your very own mask at home with honey as the key ingredient and here’s a look at the benefits of using honey in a hair mask.
The benefits of using honey in a hair mask
It’s been used in hair rinses and conditioners for centuries, due to honey’s therapeutic properties. Today, in many types of hair care products it’s still a popular natural ingredient.
So, including it in a hair mask and what are the benefits of using honey on your hair. Honey may be beneficial in a hair mask for the following reasons, according to anecdotal evidence and research:
- Reduces hair breakage
- Improves the condition of natural hair
- Softens hair
- Moisturizes dry hair and scalp
- Restores shine
- Reduces frizz
Honey works well as a binding agent, additionally. This means if you want to include other ingredients it’s a good base to use as a hair mask. Because it may promote more intense healing, nourishment, you leave a hair mask on your hair for a longer period of time and repair than a regular conditioner.
How to make a honey hair mask
To make a honey hair mask there are many different recipes you can use. It’s well-suited to damaged, dry hair and this is one of the most basic.
All you need are the following ingredients and items:
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- A shower cap
- 1/2 cup of honey
- A mixing bowl
- A small paintbrush (optional)
Organic honey, try to use raw, which is the least processed and has a higher concentration of antioxidants. Nonorganic honey should still provide benefits, however.
You can make one using plastic wrap or a large plastic bag and tape if you don’t have a shower cap.
- Start with damp, clean hair.
- Pour 1/4 cup of olive oil and 1/2 cup of honey into a bowl and stir the mixture well.
- For 20 seconds microwave the mixture.
- Stir the mixture again with a spoon once it’s heated.
- Start working it into your hair using your fingers or a small paintbrush, after allowing the mixture to cool. Work your way down to the ends and start at the scalp.
- With circular motions using your fingertips gently massage your scalp.
- To help seal place the cap on your hair in the moisturizing ingredients.
- For 30 minutes left on.
- As usual, rinse the mask from your hair and shampoo, to ensure you’ve removed all ingredients.